If you have an Android device, be aware of various malware that are designed to steal information, such as your phone number, contact details from your address book, and other personal information right from your device.
The latest known versions of this type of malware are unknowingly downloaded onto mobile devices when users open links in text messages disguised as system updates or links within advertisements that offer a profitable work-at-home opportunity.
Here are some tips to avoid these scams:
- Make sure the mobile applications you download are produced by reputable companies.
- Only enable geo-location tracking in trustworthy applications.
- Do not connect your device to unknown wireless networks.
- Factory reset your device before you sell it or trade it in.
- Avoid clicking on links from unknown sources.
If you become aware of a link that fits one of the scam descriptions above, do not open it. You can report your findings to the International Crime Complaint Center (IC3).
For more information and prevention tips, read the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s article here.