Hunger can affect anyone. According to Food Lifeline’s 2010 Hunger in America Study,
- More than 45% of the individuals using a food bank, meal program or shelter in Western Washington have some form of post-secondary education. Only 9% are actually homeless.
- 37% of the people Food Lifeline serves are children.
- 12% of the people Food Lifeline serves are seniors.
- Hunger causes many families to make difficult choices.
- 47% of the people Food Lifeline serves had to choose between food and paying for heat or utilities.
- 29% of the people Food Lifeline serves had to choose between food and paying for medicine or medical care.
- 42% of the people Food Lifeline serves had to choose between paying for food and paying for rent or mortgage.
You can make a difference.
This summer, help support SMCU’s community partner, Food Lifeline, with their efforts to feed hungry children during the tough summer months when school meals are unavailable. Between July 8 and July 22, Food Lifeline’s goal is to provide 1 million meals for hungry children. Your donations can help them get there.
Help us by donating today!
Making your own contribution to Food Lifeline’s “Food Frenzy” drive is easy. Visit the Food Frenzy online donation form to make a donation via credit card. When you fill out the form, be sure to select “Seattle Metropolitan Credit Union” from the list of financial institutions, so we can see how much our credit union raised for this worthy charity.