As an owner of Seattle Metropolitan Credit Union, you have a voice in the overall governance of the credit union. Like all credit unions, we are run by a volunteer board of directors elected by, and from, the membership. Applications are now being accepted for our Board of Directors and our Supervisory Committee.
Board of Directors
The Board of Directors oversees the operations of the credit union by setting policy, planning strategic direction, hiring the President/CEO and protecting the interests of SMCU members.
Each year, three of nine volunteer positions are open for re-election. Each have three-year terms. The time commitment averages 10 to 20 hours per month. Experience in planning, financing, budgeting, marketing, as well as personnel or organizational management is desired.
The Supervisory Committee ensures adherence to established policies and procedures; supervises the completion of an annual audit as well as supplemental audits; and reports the findings to the Board, management, members and/or regulatory agencies as required.
Each position typically has a three-year term with an average time commitment of 5 to 7 hours per month. Ideal candidates will have some knowledge of accounting and finance.
Get On The Ballot
- Be at least 21 years old
- Be an SMCU member in good standing for at least one year
- Pass all screening requirements, including the following: bondability check, credit check, employment verification(s) and educational verification(s)
- Apply to the Board of Directors’ Nominating Committee by completing an application
- Send a resume and statement of interest in 50 – 275 words. (Your statement may appear on the ballot)
- The Nominating Committee will interview the applicants and approve the nomination of candidates
Nomination by Petition
- Obtain the signatures of at least 1% of the membership and submit that along with a resume and statement of interest in 50 – 275 words.
- The Nominating Committee will interview the candidate, review the required documentation and validate the petition.
Applications and petitions must be received no later than 4 p.m., on Thursday, December 1, 2011 and should be brought to the SMCU Administrative Offices on the second floor of 801 Third Avenue in Seattle or mailed to the following address:
Seattle Metropolitan Credit Union
Attn: Nominating Committee
PO Box 780
Seattle, WA 98111-0780
Application are available in branches as well as in the ‘about us’ section of smcu.com.
If you have any questions regarding guidelines or the application process, contact Michael Oaks, Administrative Coordinator, at 206-398-5560 or email@example.com.