October 15th, 2012

Checking for Change: Nominations

Here at SMCU, giving back to the community we serve is more than just a goal; we make it a priority. One way we give back is through Feel Good Checking™. For every Feel Good Checking account opened, we donate $20 to one of our seven non-profit community partners, who are chosen each year by SMCU and members of our community. Now that 2012 is coming to a close, it’s time to decide who we’ll be partnering with in the coming year.

We will be accepting nominations from October 15 to October 30 for organizations* to become our 2013 Feel Good Checking partners.

How to Nominate an Organization

1. Comment on this post, OR

2. Fill out a printed form in one of our branches, OR

3. Comment on any of our Facebook posts, OR

4. Tweet your nomination on  Twitter with the hashtag “#checking4change”

Voting for Our Partners

Once the nomination period has ended, SMCU will review the list of organizations and narrow it down to 21 finalists, including our current partners who will be up for re-election. The finalists will be announced on Thursday, November 1. For one week, November 1 to November 7, you will be able to vote for your favorite finalist here. The results of the vote will weigh heavily in the selection process, so be sure to support your favorite non-profit through both nominating and voting.

The 2013 Feel Good Checking partners will be announced on Tuesday, November 13.

We encourage all SMCU members as well as members of our community to participate. Your voice helps make SMCU a reflection of you, which is an important part of our being a co-op. Happy nominating!

*Note: Eligible organizations must be registered 501(c)(3) nonprofits headquartered in the state of Washington.

61 Responses

1. Jo Sunderlage says:

I nominate Cocoon House, help for teens.

2. Sharon says:

Can I nominate two?
    Cascade Harvest Coalition is re-localizing the food system in Washington by connecting consumers more directly with producers. http://www.cascadeharvest.org

Seattle Young People’s Project empowers youth ages 13-18 to express themselves and to take action on the issues that affect their lives. http://www.sypp.org

3. Robert says:

I nominate ArtsFund, non-profit arts granting orgranization. Last year, ArtsFund awarded over $2M to nearly 70 arts organization in King and Pierce Counties. Additionally, ArtsFund annualy recruits 100+ volunteer associates to advocate and fundraise on its behalf.

4. Beza says:

I nominate Full life Care. Thank you for the opportunity.

5. Cynde Lund says:

I would like to nominate Homeward Pet in Woodinville. I volunteer there and they do a wonderful job and can use the help.

6. This organization provides food for the needy in Kirkland, WA. With so many folks suffering (infants to the elderly) I would like to nominate this organization for consideration. Thank you

7. I would like to nominate SUSTANE! Its a non-profit organization focused on college preparation for students of color in grades 8-12. A full preparatory program that provides workshops, free applications, tours and face-to-face admission interviews for seniors!

8. Dion Schell says:

I would like to nominate SUSTANE for to become one of SMCU’s 2013 Feel Good Checking partners.

9. Sharon Delong says:

I nominate Seattle’s Union Gospel Mission. They “provide emergency care and long-term recovery services to hurting and homeless people in Seattle.” http://www.ugm.org

10. Darcy Buendia says:

I nominate the Hunger Intervention Program (http://www.hungerintervention.org)

They provide nutritional meals and basic cooking skills to the homeless and hungry of Seattle, while focusing on empowering those served.

11. Barbara says:

I am nominating Puget Soundkeeper Alliance, a local non-profit focused on the health of Puget Sound since 1985. They are the only organization on the water every week monitoring for pollution and they conduct 20+ waterway cleanups each year that engage thousands of volunteers and removes tons of trash from shorelines.

12. Jena Werven says:

I would like to nominate The Pirates Holiday Treasure Chest. The Pirate santas distribute toys, clothing, and food to thousands of people throught the puget sound area. They depend on the resources of the community and businesses like SMCU to provide them with funds to assist them in helping these families.

13. I would like to nominate SightLife.

Founded in 1969, SightLife is the only non-profit global health organization and eye bank solely focused on eliminating corneal blindness in the U.S. and around the world. Driven by an entrepreneurial spirit as an eye bank, the organization leverages innovative technologies and best business practices to transform lives and unlock life’s possibilities for the corneal blind. SightLife works in partnership with surgeons and health organizations in more than 30 countries and SightLife and its partners combined provided more than 10,000 corneas for transplant in 2011.

14. Wendy says:

This group of people are saints. Do you know how many people in the greater puget sound area would not have a christmas if it was not for these amazing people?? THey find people that are at there wits end trying to do the holidays and proivde them with ample amounts of food…toys clothing and blankets. They depend on the support of the community to get all there donations and your organization would allow them to help even more families. Please choose them!!

• Wendy says:

I was so excited I forgot to mention whothe group was. I was talking about the Seattle Seafair Pirates Holiday Treasure Chest. THey are such giving kind pewople that would do anything to feed and clothe and give gifts to as many families in seattle as possible.

15. Tony Robinson says:

I nominate Northwest Harvest which services food banks in the greater Seattle area.

16. Bobbi says:

I nominate Seattle Inner City Outings. We serve youth from diverse socio-economic backgrounds who would not otherwise have the opportunity to experience the great outdoors. Our outings are a real bright spot in these kids’ lives and are full of so many firsts – first time sleeping in a tent, first time hiking to the top of a mountain, first time making s’mores, first time seeing a waterfall. This organization is definitely feel good.

17. Logan Bruch says:

I would like to nominate NW Network (nwnetwork.org)

18. I would like to nominate Operation Nightwatch. A local nonprofit that helps homeless people by providing a hot meal and access to emergency shelter late at night. Thanks!

19. Brianna McCoy says:

I nominate the Holiday Treasure Chest. I have watched the Holiday Treasure Chest help hundreds of families each year first hand.