Application Deadline Friday, June 1, 2012.
What are the details of this internship?
The Seattle Metropolitan Credit Union Marketing department is looking for an undergraduate intern in their junior or senior year to assist in developing and executing its strategic social media plan.
This internship will offer valuable insight into the operation and marketing of a large cooperative financial institution. The selected applicant will obtain real-world skills in an exciting, creative, and hands-on marketing environment.
- Primary Duties
- Review the social media tactics of local competitors and national banks
- Suggest topics for posts to the SMCU blog, Facebook page and Twitter feeds
- Create articles for 7principles.coop
- Publish content to Facebook and Twitter
- Assist in implementing the social media component of ongoing SMCU promotions/branding
- Assist in implementing SMCU’s digital advertising strategy
- Offer fresh input in creative meetings
- Experience with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Access
- Experience with social media sites, especially Facebook and Twitter
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite
- Strong Proof Reading Skills
- Strong Writing/Copywriting Skills
- Strong Research Skills
- Strong Analytical Skills
- Drivers License, Reliable Transportation
- Social Media Campaign Project
The selected applicant will be responsible for the execution of one social media campaign during the quarter.
The campaign project will include:
- A creative brief detailing the purpose of the campaign as well as execution strategies, goals, and possible design elements
- A campaign outline with relevant details for SMCU staff
- Execution of the campaign, including associated blog, Facebook, and Twitter posts as well as any other necessary collateral
- A post-campaign analysis to determine how well the campaign met its stated goals and what lessons can be applied to future campaigns
- Duration, Time Commitment, and Pay
The intern period is the summer academic quarter beginning on Monday, June 18, 2012 ending Friday, September 7, 2012. The selected applicant will work 20 hours per week at Seattle Metropolitan Credit Union headquarters (801 3rd Avenue, Seattle, WA).
The internship will be paid at $11/hour.
Interested applicants should send a résumé including applicable courses, work history, and extracurricular activity, as well as two references with contact information to:
Seattle Metropolitan Credit Union
P.O. Box 780
Seattle, WA 98111-0780
Résumés must be received by 5:00 PDT, Friday, June 1, 2012. Certain applicants will be contacted for an in-person interview between Monday, June 4, 2012 and Friday, June 8, 2012. The selected applicant will be notified by Friday, June 15, 2012.
Who Is Seattle Metropolitan Credit Union?
Seattle Metropolitan Credit Union (SMCU) is a $550B+ financial cooperative headquartered in Seattle, Washington. SMCU was founded in 1933 by seven City of Seattle employees looking to pool their resources to provide loans to each other at lower rates than what they could get from commercial banks. Since then SMCU has grown into a full-service financial institution, offering a full line of financial products including home loans, credit cards, CDs, IRAs and more. Membership is open to anyone who lives or works in the state of Washington.
As a cooperative, SMCU is guided by the 7 Co-operative Principles; a set of principles that date back to some of the earliest co-ops from the 1800’s. These principles ensure that our business practices benefit both our membership and our community. Unlike banks, credit unions are member-owned, so every member is a shareholder with an equal voice in deciding how the institution should be run. Because the credit union is not for profit, we can offer lower rates, free services, and higher dividends to our members.
Who is the SMCU Marketing Department?
SMCU’s Marketing department is the in-house creative team responsible for creating and implementing promotions, communicating important information directly to our membership, coordinating community events, and analyzing business intelligence, such as product adoption and consumer demographics.
One of the ways the Marketing department carries out those responsibilities is by engaging its community of members and potential members through social media channels, like Facebook, Twitter and its blog, 7principles.coop.
The Marketing department at SMCU has won multiple national and regional awards for credit-union marketing. It is recognized as a national expert in using the Seven Cooperative Principles to promote credit unions and cooperatives. SMCU Marketing representatives have been featured presenters at the Puget Sound American Marketing Association, CUNA’s Government Affairs Conference, the Ohio Credit Union League’s State Convention, and the African American Credit Union Coalition among others.
The SMCU Marketing department was the creator and presenter of Co-opalooza, a festival celebrating and promoting cooperative businesses held at the Seattle Center in 2011. More than 1,500 visitors attended the one-day event that featured more than twenty local and national co-ops and concerts by four popular local bands.
For further information about this internship contact:
Kevin St. Clair
Seattle Metropolitan Credit Union is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.